Monday, April 4, 2011

thats why I recycle

I regularly have my fourth graders write in their journals in response to various prompts that I give: What would you do if you were the last person on earth? How would you trick a leprechaun into giving you his pot of gold? What steps should I follow if I want to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

I was digging through my kids' journals and commenting on their entries when I came across this tattered response from one of my most eccentric and free spirited boys.

Translated: 

Journal Entry #17

 Why is it important to recycle? It is important because it clean up the planet because every bottle you throw away goes to a river that goes to the ocean and the O zone divoles [disolves] by that and stuff like heat from the sun gets threw and burn people and more meatiorites fall to earth and hurt people, animals, and plants. thats why I recycle. and you can get money.


While most of his classmates commented on saving trees and adorable sea animals, he goes the end-of-days route. You heard of skin cancer? It don't mean a damn thing when your flesh has been seared off your body! Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about the "meat"iorites that will shower from the skies, plowing into your charred corpse, lifeless pooch, and wilted Ikea bamboo stalks... If that's not a good enough reason, your greedy ass can make MOOOOOOOOOONEY! So what do you say, will you recycle?

No comments:

Post a Comment